Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sticks and Stones.....

So for the last two nights in a row I found myself sitting in a car with Kim and Anji whiling away the hours just contemplating and discussing, not all the of the conversation was profound or prophetic. Never the less it was enjoyable. Out of all the things we could have been doing, sometimes sitting in a car with two people who "get you" can be the best way to spend the midnight hours.

In my time away it turned out that Anji had gone to Singapore (a detail which she seemed to have trouble remembering until Kim reminded her) and the stories of her travels filled me with that familiar urge to immerse myself in another culture.

Hmmm I wonder if this craving I get to travel at the slightest sniff of ethnic food or the faintest glimpse of a glossy photography hard cover of some far off place could be seen as dangerous were I to sit down with a therapist and analyse the whole idea?

The women's conference went off without a hitch (not that I would personally know, not being a woman and all), and Sunday church was as refreshing as it was inspiring. The reason why I make note that it was "refreshing" as well was that after a service where the I am really touched by the holy spirit and get a new revelation I am usually left feeling a little tired from the exhilaration, but when I say tired I mean that in a good way. My mind is alert, and my heart it beating at a hundred miles per hour, but I am quite honestly spent immediately afterwards, in that exhilarating breathless way, not in a lethargic lazy manner.

But this time I felt refreshed, as if someone had taken a bowl of that iced cucumber water I love so dearly and tossed the contents quite eagerly into my face, like I'd dived fully clothed into an icy cold pool on a scorching hot summer's day. The metaphors are endless and with my creatively geared mind we could be hear all night likening my Sunday experience to all types of water activities.

But instead I'll leave you with a lesson that Janine Kubala taught me today. Our realities that surround us are often so discouraging and contradictory to the vision we have in our hearts....sometimes all it takes to get a spark into that vision, to see it go from the prophetic to the tangible, is a few encouraging words.

In the beginning God created the world, but it was a dark and shapeless void, and it wasn't until God spoke the words "let there be light" that light and life came into being. Four little words of encouragement, four simple words of positivity and in single moment, our ever expanding universe, so much of which remains undiscovered, was created.

From the very first recorded words that God uttered he was setting an example of how we should speak to each other, we should speak encouragement and love, not discouragement and insecurity. This was also an example of how we should speak to ourselves, instead of looking at ourselves and hating what we see we should do as India Arie does : "When I look in the mirror and the only one there is me, every freckle on my face is where it's supposed to be, and I know my creator didn't make no mistakes on me. My feet, my thighs, my lips, my eyes, I'm loving what I see"

Let there be light....

Words are powerful, in contradiction to what the little school yard rhyme might say, words have power, to ignore that is simply making it okay for those people who would speak negativity into lives to do so. Not only that but we are ignoring the ability we have within ourselves to speak positivity into our own lives as well as others. It seems so simple doesn't it?

Until next time darlings.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment