Thursday, August 5, 2010

“Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of”

Things I learned at Chans Latin dance class:

1. I really shouldn't bite my lower lip in concentration, it makes my nose stick out.

2. I can only body roll in one direction...I know, who would have thought?

3. I have chronic Tracey Turnblad arms (If you don't know what that means hire a copy of hairspray and wait for Tracey to wave)

4. The crump is a perfectly acceptable default dance move and after all these years I have perfected it.

5. I may be vain but gosh darn I looked good in those dance class mirrors.

After the Zumba class Chan, Lizzy, Kim and I headed to the movies to watch Step Up 3, the dancing was incredible, the storyline.....well let's just say I've seen episodes of Sesame Street that have more substance.

Things I learned from Step Up 3:

1. All dancers have a sordid past where their older sibling or parent have died and they must keep dancing "for them"

2. Everybody suspiciously ALWAYS knows the steps when another person's crew challenges your crew to an impromptu dance off.

3. If you're a dancer, chances are, dance saved you from a life of drugs, prostitution, poverty or your third world village in Africa.

4. Everything looks "tight" or is "off the chain" regardless of whether it was on a chain to begin with.

5. The world seems to move in perfect sync if you should by chance break into a dance sequence in the middle of a street.

6. You will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS walk out of a Step Up movie feeling like you want to dance.


 

All in all a good night I would say, seeing different clips of New York in the background reminded me of how much I miss living in a busy city, of course what other song would they choose to play during these scenes except for "Empire State of Mind" which in itself brings back some funny memories; Empire State of Mind was the song I always used to sing in Detention at night time when we would hold our makeshift karaoke competitions after the lights would go out.

As for now, I should really be going to bed before I'm tempted to make a late night stop in at the cave of many pleasures, i.e. the fridge.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment