Friday, October 1, 2010

The Closer I Get To You.

After a day of craftiness with the little one I found myself covered in irritating silver spray paint, the temptation to do a whole body job was, needless to say, very high indeed. Heading out tonight for some movies at Bec's house. She lives in the sticks so that should be interesting, mind you, anything without easy access to a public bathroom is the sticks to me. Hair cut, shower and a satisfied appetite make for a good end to the day, and a great start to the night.

Currently reading "Swan" supposedly written by Naomi Campbell (upon a tiny bit of research I discovered the book was actually written by a ghost writer, Cambell stating that she "simply didn't have the time to sit down and write a book" if only all of us could attain credit for things we couldn't be bothered to do).

It's actually an interesting read, with a surprisingly different look into the world of high fashion modelling. There's no rags to riches, sell your soul to the devil cliché found here. Instead you get an altogether subjective look at the world of modelling through the eyes of "Swan" a world famous British model who is being black mailed by an un known assailant.

The book takes time to branch off from Swans first person narrative to introduce us to four other girls working in the industry, all different models with different back grounds and different looks. The aim here I surmise is to take the reader to a place where they will be able to understand or appreciate the undeniable creative side to the modelling industry, because whether we like to admit it or not, behind the glamorous, Dolce shaded, scandal riddled, gossip infused, diva tolerating side to this unavoidably glamorous industry, is a quality that truly is what one can only describe as "art".

Even though the book rides on a name that never put pen to paper, if you take the book for what it is you will find that, while it's no "Breakfast at Tiffanys" it's worth the time...if you have the time to spare. I'll categorize this one under the "Rainy Day" book section.

Speaking of rainy days, it was a dreary day for weather today, but it's an occasion I sincerely enjoy. There's nothing better than the patter of light rain, a warm blanket and Luther Vandross and Beyonce's rendition of "The Closer I Get To You" to put me in a state of utter enlightenment. I recently re-uploaded my old "Dangerously In Love" onto my itunes, Beyonce really knows how to write a slow jam. Utterly delicious, like apricot marmalade, I am a sucker for a good slow jam, pity no one seems to make them anymore.

Until Next time darlings. x

1 comment:

  1. I take it you've read "Model" by Michael Gross...a gripping read, chock full of all the cliches because, well, they're actually true. Love the way you write, BTW, very...dare I say it?......yes, I will.....evocative.

    ReplyDelete